Wednesday 5 October 2011

Lonely after relocating

As I walked the kids to the bus this morning I noticed the bite in the air and the scattering of yellow leaves on the ground. The naked branches reminded me that the barren, sorrowful time of year is fast approaching. That time between the vibrancy of fall heralding a sense of  change and the sunny, sparkly cold of winter. I expect to feel the sense of loneliness this time brings more acutely this year as I make my way in my new city of Calgary.
Since I moved to Calgary in the deep freeze of late February, I have had ample time to think about loneliness. So far this has been the most difficult relocation for me and I am not sure why. I know intellectually that these transitions take at least a year, and as I am almost a decade older since the last move, like the rest of me, the transition may move more slowly as well!
An east coast friend who had moved from the UK to Canada recommended a fabulous book on loneliness which has helped me accept the situational loneliness I am experiencing. Lonely: Learning to Live with Solitude by Emily White is a fascinating look at the emotional and cognitive effects of loneliness. She understood my unpacking ADD as I called it. It certainly helped me feel I was not imagining the effects I was seeing.
Her website might be helpful for anyone experiencing loneliness, not just after a job relocation but those who feel that as a chronic state.
www.lonelythebook.com

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful - you are an awesome writer.

    love MLM

    ReplyDelete