Wednesday 22 February 2012

East meets west


Maple syrup is quintessentially Canadian, but in my mind it is associated with eastern Canada. So I was surprised to get a request from my daughter's school to come and volunteer for a maple syrup event. If there were sugar maples anywhere near Calgary, I had certainly missed seeing them.

There is no sweeter treat than fresh warm maple syrup poured on clean snow where it cools to maple taffy, scooped up with a stick. In my former New Brunswick town, it was a regular school trip every spring to visit the small maple syrup operation nearby on the Kingston Peninsula.



Although today's event was held on a basketball court with tables of crushed ice subbing for snow, students were still amazed as they rolled up their all-natural treat. Hosted by a charming, older Quebecois couple, French music played in the background and some students joined in on the spoons. For a few minutes these western children got a taste of eastern Canadian culture.

Now, if we can we get them to adopt snow days.....

4 comments:

  1. My friends Mom used to make those for us for fun in the winter and I haven't had that in years! What great memories this brings back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are yummy & a true taste of Canadian childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maple syrup snow? What a cool idea! I've only recently started adding maple syrup to my oatmeal and love it. It's not a big deal in Germany (we use more honey I think) and somehow it's taken me forever to actually enjoy maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, I am the opposite- only starting to like honey as an adult. Wonder if you could make honey taffy?

    ReplyDelete