Monday 19 December 2011

Sliding takes you back to the delight of childhood



As a grown up there are many days I dislike winter and having to pile on layers of clothing to keep warm. But some moments when the air has just that slight bite which wakes me up and reminds me that I have nose hair and the snow is sparkling, I can embrace winter.

Growing up in a small town I recall many great afternoons and evenings sliding. It was a true sign of independence when I could go back to the big hill after dark without parents. These are experiences I did not expect my children to have in the city. But I was wrong.

In our new city we live across the street from a lake. In the winter it is transformed into a great skating area and a sliding hill. Currently every tree is decorated with lights for the holidays and the sliding hill is lit. My daughter went with friends the other night, proudly using her access card for the first time and commented how independent that made her feel. I did walk and get them so that they could come for dinner but as I approached I heard the giggles and shrieks of delight that the speed and lack of control bring. It took me back in my mind to many similar pink cheek nights of fun.

How wonderful to have a small town experience in the big city.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I LOVE sliding, I went last year with friends and remembered how much fun it is! I hope to go again this year!

    ReplyDelete